With the temperature dropping to -17 degrees celsius last Monday, I knew I needed a new hat. I had given a previous version of this to a friend and had remained hatless for the season.
I wanted to create a bit of space to tuck my hair in, which is more comfortable than fighting flying locks possessed by static electricity.
I made this hat in an evening. I used a bulky weight off-white acrylic yarn that actually feels and looks quite nice (I lost the label!) and a worsted weight pink wool for accents (also lost the label, I had it as a remnant).
My gauge was 11 sts and 15 rows = 10x 10 cm in stockinette stitch.
This is what I did:
- Cast on 46 (this is a small size).
- Knit ribbing for 8 rows (ribbing is knit 1 purl 1 row 1; knit 1 purl 1 row 2 and repeat)
- Then I increased a stitch for each fourth stitch I knitted and worked it in stockinette stitch for 20 rows.
- I then started decreasing one for each third on the knit side and just purled through the purl side.
- I then decreased one for each second and purled all on the purl side. I knit, then purled all the stitches without decreasing for another row.
- I then knitted 2 together until the end of the row and puled a long thread though and tied the top of the hat off. I sewed the back seam of the hat with a plastic needle (so much better than the tapestry ones I’ve been using and hurting myself with).
- I then made a pompon and sewed it tightly on!
The hat is warm and comfy!
Let me know if you have any questions about this, I’d be happy to clarify!