Zacusca is a Romanian vegetable spread, some people say it’s like a denser sauce and you can use it for cooking pasta, but don’t ever tell that to a Romanian, or you will be in great danger. It’s made of eggplants, red peppers, carrot and onions. And it’s delicious: )
You will need:
- 5 eggplants
- 5 red peppers
- 3 bigger onions
- 2-3 carrots
- salt, black pepper, laurel, savory
The how to:
1. Grate the carrots and onion.
2. Wash and lightly oil the peppers, then bake for 25-30 minutes, until soft. Do the same thing with the eggplants. Alternatively, for a smoky taste, you can cook the eggplants, directly on the stove, letting the fire burn the outside peel.
3. Let the peppers cool a bit, then peel them.
4. Do the same with the eggplants.
5. Put both of them in a sieve and let them drain for a few minutes.
6. This is how the eggplant pulp should look after cooked.
7. Mash the peppers.
8. Mash the eggplant, separately.
9. In a pan with oil, brown the chopped/grated onion and carrot.
10. When brown, add the mashed peppers. Cook for a few more minutes, stirring all the time.
11. Move everything in a bigger pot and add the mashed eggplant.
12. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes, then add laurel, black pepper, salt, savory. Continue cooking, stirring from time to time.
13. Taste it, add more salt or pepper if you like it spicy. Add more herbs if you feel like experimenting. Then spread it on bread and enjoy with friends.