This is not a happy story. And it wasn’t a pretty sight. (Actually there was so much smoke in the kitchen it wasn’t a sight at all.) And what you see here is the pot in which I was trying to make Caramelized Pears. The pot in the image is at its third scrub, after a night of soaking in hard chemicals.
So, in case you want to make Caramelized Pears (yum-yum), here is how to: (serves 4)
- Take 4 healthy, not to juicy pears.
- Peel the fruit. Cut in halves.
- Caramelize three spoons of brown sugar. Add three spoons of milk.
- Put the halves flat side down on the caramel. Count to ten in your mind, wash a spoon or check if there’s something new in the fridge.
- Add a glass of water and leave it on the stove until the liquid has thickened and the pears are tender.
- Serve with vanilla icecream.
Do not, I repeat do NOT:
- leave the room to write a short blog post
- start a conversation with an interesting person
- take a shower
- do all of the above and then wonder how is it possible that you failed to make such an easy to master desert.
Happy (-er than mine at least) Cooking!
(photo of succesfully caramelized pears from garden apartment’s flickr)